Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Initial Reactions to NASA Tweetup

So, I'm just getting around to actually starting this blog - everything in my life has been on a delay lately, for several reasons. I just moved into a new condo on the 20th, and had a lot of preparing/packing to do before then. I also competed in a pro-am ballroom competition on the 18th - clearly a smart choice with moving 48 hours later! But, I'm finally settling in, and getting this started. Let's move on, and discuss my initial reacitons to learning I got into #NASATweetup...

As I'm sure you all know, notification emails went out on Friday, June 10th. I was one of 5,500 refreshing my email like a crazy person that day. Twitter suddenly started flooding with "OMG I'M GOING TO STS135!!!!!!" tweets, but still nothing in my inbox. After quite a few hours, probably close to four, I saw the email come through: "We regret to inform you that you were not selected for the NASA Tweetup nor the wait list." I was pretty crushed. While I was happy for all of the people that were selevted, I was selfishly disappointed and almost angry. It was the last shuttle launch, the last launch Tweetup, and I wasn't selected. Depression set in.

About 48 hours later, on the 12th, I woke up from a nap to two emails, two subjects: "NASA Tweetup Clarification" and "STS-135 NASA Tweetup CONFIRMATION". I actually read them out of order (go figure) and read the clarification first - it said "it seems we sent you both a "you're selected" and a "not selected" email for the STS-135 NASA Tweetup. Our apologies for any confusion. You have been selected for the Tweetup." Shock doesn't even begin to describe it. I honestly don't think it has really set in just yet.

I am so excited and so thankful for this opportunity - and I promise I'll be a better blogger from here on out!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited for you, Alison! You are going to make a great #NASATweetup attendee. Make sure you take a sign/towel/flag to wave at the Astrovan and yell and clap for all of us.

    ReplyDelete